Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon Starting Line


I've signed up for the Bout of Books Read-a-Thon hosted by On a Bookbender and here is my official starting line post. Over the course of the week I am hoping to knock out at least six books. Most of them will be Classics because previously I signed up for The Classic Bribe Challenge and it ends on Labor Day....so I need to rack up as many Classics as I possibly can. That said, the book I'm starting with isn't a Classic--unless I can convince the host that Classic science fiction counts.

Here's my planned reading:
1. Shatterday by Harlan Ellison (classic SF from the 70s)
2. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
3. Lucky Jim by Kinglsey Amis
4. The Arrow by Christopher Morley
5. Middlemarch by George Eliot (if I'm brave enough)
6. Parnassas on Wheels by Christopher Morley

If I find that I need a break from all that heavy classic literature, I may venture off into some Georgette Heyer mysteries, Sherlock Holmes pastiches, or Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries by Dorothy L Sayers. My list of books completed (and how many pages for each) will show up on my original 'Thon post HERE.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't be afraid of Middlemarch! I had to read it for a class, and the length intimidated me at first, but I actually loved it!

I'm doing this read-a-thon too...my biggest challenge will be to get through Light in August, as Faulkner is not one of my favorite people.