Monday, June 4, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a bookish meme hosted by Book Journey. It's where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It's a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list. So hop on over via the link above and join in...and leave a comment here so I can check out what you are reading.
A pretty good reading week....and Goodreads shows that I'm ahead of the game by 3 books!  Woo hoo!


Books Read (click on titles for review):
King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard 
New Graves at Great Norne by Henry Wade
Something to Kill For by Susan Holtzer (6/1/12)
A Slip of the Tong by Charles Goodrum (6/3/12)
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson


 
Currently Reading:
Stanford White: Letters to His Family by Claire Nicolas White (ed): These letters and sketches by Stanford White were left by Lawrence Grant White, when he died in 1956. He had mounted them in beautiful leather-bound books, each impetuously scribbled letter accompanied by a typewritten transcription. It was so obviously the labor of love and admiration of a son for his father that this alone made them precious. 

Books that spark my interest:
Pearls Before Swine by Margery Allingham (finally came in on the Library hold shelf! next up)
A Dark Time by Dennis Bradford (review copy from the author)
Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen
The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare


6 comments:

Yvette said...

Morning, Bev. I am dazzled by your reading prowess. Dazzled and exhausted. I am so far behind on what I wanted to be reading this year.....Oh well, I can only do what I can do.

I'm currently reading THE MAURITIUS COMMAND by Patrick O'Brian. Yes, I'm still on the high seas with Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin. LOVING these books and I'm going to be back in the early 1800's for most of this year, I'm thinking....

I'm buying them in batches of three, finding some nice used trade paperbacks.

So that's what I'm reading. Except at breakfast lunch and dinner when I re-read Rex Stout or Agatha Christie. :)

Stanford White...wasn't that the architect who was killed in a very famous love triangle?

Bev Hankins said...

RE: Stanford White...not sure. Picked this one up purely because it has "White" in the title and I needed it for my Color Coded Challenge. Now you've got me curious. Gonna have to investigate.

Bev Hankins said...

Oooooh. Yes, you're right!

Bev Hankins said...

Look what I found on Wikipedia: "White was noted for his womanizing; he had a red velvet swing installed in an apartment where Nesbit and other girls "in varying degrees of undress" would entertain him, which became a focal point of press coverage of the trial."

That's way more interesting than any of the letters I've read so far....

dollycas aka Lori said...

Just received Dennis Bradford's book. I can't wait to get at it!!

Happy Reading!!

Irene Palfy said...

Great list as always Bev!

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY is just so wonderful.. (Well.. it's Austen..) and I for sure love TAMING OF THE SHREW.. ;")

Hope you'll have a great week of reading ahead!