Thursday, August 9, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Branching Out

A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. Hosted at Booking Through Thursday. A while ago BTT interviewed their readers for a change, and their final question was, “What question have they NOT asked at BTT that you’d love them to ask?” Ever so often they will pose those questions to their BTT followers. Like now.  Amy & Sarah both ask about genres:
 
Amy asks: Name a book you love in a genre you normally don't care for.  What made you decided to read it?  Did it make you want to try more in that genre?

Soulless (and the rest of the Gail Carriger Parasol Protectorate series).   I found Carriger's books mentioned on another blog site (Adventure Into Romance) and it sounded so good, I just had to run right out to the library and grab the first two of the series.  It did make me read everyone of these paranormal/steam punk adventures.  It hasn't really made me go crazy for paranormal/steam punk, though.

And Bookish Sarah asks:  What genre do you avoid reading and why?

For the most part, I avoid horror, true crime and true disaster stories, thriller/psychological thrillers, and children-in-danger stories (particularly more modern, more graphic).  Why?  I feel like there's enough drama, horror and nastiness in modern life--I read to escape.  If I'm going to wind up reading stories that will only remind me of today's headlines or make me have nightmares, then I might as well read the newspaper.  And I cannot take stories that involve the abuse or murder of children.  Can't do it.

2 comments:

CMash said...

Your response triggered a memory. I remember reading a book, can't recall the title, but it was a true story about a child and horrific events that it was the second time that I ever had nightmares because of a book. The first was The Stand by Stephen King.

Have fun on your road trip!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I don't like horror, but I do enjoy the occasional true crime story.