Saturday, March 2, 2013

February Wrap Up & P.O.M Award

Once again I will be combining my monthly wrap-up post with Kerrie's Crime Fiction Pick of the Month over at Mysteries in Paradise.



My February totals are looking up...one more book than January and one more than last year's total for the month.  BUT GoodReads still says I'm running behind....so, if I want to Outdo myself (one of the many challenges I'm juggling), then I should wrap this post up quick and whip out my current book.

 Here we go with the stats...

Total Books Read: 14 
Total Pages: 3955

Average Rating: 3.446 stars
Top Rating: 4 stars (four books)
Percentage by Female Authors: 39%

Percentage by US Authors: 61%

Percentage by non-US/non-British Authors: 14%
Percentage Mystery: 57%
Percentage Fiction: 100%
Percentage written 2000+: 43%
Percentage of Rereads: 7%
Percentage Read for Challenges: 100% {It's eas
y to have every book count for a challenge when you sign up for as many as I do.}  
Number of Challenges fulfilled so far: 1 (4%)




AND, as mentioned above,
Kerrie has started us up for another of Crime Fiction Favorites. What she's looking for is our Top Mystery Read for each month. In February, I read eightbooks that may count as mysteries--with Man in the Empty Suit crossing genres (mystery and SF).

The Cavalier's Cup by Carter Dickson  3stars
Corpses at Indian Stones by Philip Wylie  4 stars
Unnatural Habits by Kerry Greenwood 4 stars
Man in the Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell 3.75 stars
The Desert Moon Mystery by Kay Cleaver Strahan 3.5 stars
Aaron's Serpent by Emily Thorn  3 stars
The World's 100 Best Short Stories, Vol. III: Mystery by Grant Overton, ed  3 stars
 His Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 4 stars



As you can see above, I handed out three 4 star ratings this month to mysteries.  The Doyle book is a reread, so I'm going to pass over that one.  And I've featured Kerry Greenwood and Miss Phryne Fisher quite often.  So, that means that February's P.O.M. Award goes to.......(drum roll, please)




.... Corpses at Indian Stones. Thanks again to John at Pretty Sinister Books for sending me a copy of this delightful book.  It's another entry in one of my favorite mystery sub-genres: the academic mystery.  It stars Agamemnon ("Aggie") Telemachus Plum--professor of anthropology, archaeologist, and hobbyist in vertebrate paleontology....and crack amateur detective.



2 comments:

fredamans said...

Another awesome month for you! Happy March reading!

TracyK said...

A nice list of mysteries. Several there that I am definitely interested in. I enjoyed reading about your sci fi reading for the month, also.