Sunday, March 31, 2013

March Wrap-Up & POM Award

Once again I will be combining my monthly wrap-up post with Kerrie's Crime Fiction Pick of the Month over at Mysteries in Paradise.




March totals are up a bit more for the year (slowly creeping into reading mode to knock out the necessary 181 books for challenges this year)..one more book than February.  But nowhere near last year's total for the month of 23! (how on earth did I manage that?)  AND GoodReads STILL says I'm running behind....so, if I want to Outdo myself (one of the many challenges I'm juggling), then I still need to get busy.

 Here we go with the stats...

Total Books Read: 15
Total Pages: 2917

Average Rating: 3.283 stars
Top Rating: 5 stars (one book)
Percentage by Female Authors: 60%

Percentage by US Authors: 86%

Percentage by non-US/non-British Authors: 20%
Percentage Mystery: 73%
Percentage Fiction: 93%
Percentage written 2000+: 27%
Percentage of Rereads: 7%
Percentage Read for Challenges: 100% {It's eas
y to have every book count for a challenge when you sign up for as many as I do.}  
Number of Challenges fulfilled so far: 3 (11%)




AND, as mentioned above,
Kerrie has started us up for another year of Crime Fiction Favorites. What she's looking for is our Top Mystery Read for each month. In March, I read eleven books that may count as mysteries--with none grabbing the five stars (that went to 84, Charing Cross Road).


The Green Plaid Pants by Margaret Scherf (3.75 stars)
A Cold & Lonely Place by Sara J. Henry (4 stars)

The Lady in the Morgue by Jonathan Latimer (3 stars)
The Perfect Landscape by Ragna Sigurdardottir (2 stars)
The Diplomat & the Gold Piano by Margaret Scherf (2.75 stars)
The Lady Vanishes (aka The Wheel Spins) by Ethel Lina White (2.5 stars)
Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams (3 stars)
Unhappy Hooligan by Stuart Palmer (3 stars)
Sally's in the Alley by Norbert Davis (4 stars)
The Mystery of Hunting's End by Mignon G. Eberhart (4.5 stars)
Hammett Unwritten by Owen Fitzstephen [Gordon McAlpine] (4 stars)



As you can see above, I handed out one 4.5 rating to a re-read, The Mystery of Hunting's End and three 4 star ratings this month.  Much as I adore Hunting's End, I try to refrain from featuring re-reads. Sally's in the Alley is a very fun vintage mystery and both A Cold & Lonely Place and Hammett Unwritten are terrific 2013 releases.  But I can't choose them all and I've got to make a decision (but that doesn't mean you can't check out all of the reviews).  So, that means that March's P.O.M. Award goes to.......(drum roll, please)







.... A Cold & Lonely Place by Sarah J. Henry.  This a quiet and powerful book. More than a mystery, it's a story about secrets and how they affect people.  And it's a story about how we all affect each other.  It's a "what really happened" and "how did it happen" kind of book instead of a whodunnit.

3 comments:

Red said...

Once again, congrats on your reading stats which are always so impressive!

TracyK said...

Interesting stats, as always. Of the mysteries, I definitely want to read the books by Ethel Lina White and Norbert Davis.

fredamans said...

I think you have great stats, no matter what GoodReads says! LOL
Happy April reading!