Tuesday, February 6, 2018

"Not-a-Challenge" Complete: Vintage SF Month

Vintage SF badge

From Redhead at Little Red Reviewer with the Vintage Science Fiction not-a-challenge!

Once upon a time, I wanted to read more old stuff. I wanted to know more about where science fiction had come from,  how science fiction authors reacted to what had come before them, and how science fiction reflected societal trends.  Our fiction can be a reflection of our society, don’cha know. That year, I decided I would read only Vintage Scifi during the month of January, and I arbitrarily decided anything from before 1979 would be Vintage, because that was the year I was born. Some people went with the 1979, some people went with whatever year they were born, some people went with something else. As with every bloggy thing I do, there were  no hard rules. The goal was to read something “older” and then talk about it online.
 
#VintageSciFiMonth is now a thing. It’s so big, I have a co-host, Jacob at Red Star Reviews.  He runs the @VintageSciFi_ (underscore at the end) twitter feed.

I always set a personal goal to read four books. Four books done!

1. World's Best Science Fiction: 1966 by Donald A. Wollheim & Terry Carr, eds (1/9/18)
2. Partners in Wonder by Harlan Ellison [& others] (1/19/18)
3. Search for Spock: A Star Trek Book of Exploration by Robb Pearlman (1/12/18)
4. The Best from Fantasy & Science Fiction Eight Series edited by Anthony Boucher (1/28/18)

No comments: